Adobe Reader 10 includes a new feature called “Protected mode” which gives “There was an error opening this document. Access denied” when opening from a network share.
To disable this via Group Policy:
- Download the ADM file here
- Create a new GPO, right click administrative templates under User Configuration, select add/remove templates and browse to the adobex.adm
- Open up the new Adobe Reader 10 policy -> Preferences -> General -> Application Startup
- Disable ‘Enabled Protected Mode at startup’
- Apply GPO to the required OU/Domain
If you are using Server 2003, you will need to tweak the filtering options by doing the following:
- With Administrative Templates selected go to View -> Filtering -> Untick ‘Only Show policy settings that can be fully managed’.